It is essentially a disorder of mood where there are episodes of abnormal change of overall mood accompanied by change in the level of activity. The mood may swing between low mood ( Depression ) and elevated mood ( Mania).
A manic episode consists of-
- Elevated or irritable mood
- Increased energy level leading to overactivity
- Increased speech output
- Decreased need for sleep
- Loss of normal social inhibitions
- Increased distractibility
- Inflated self esteem
- Making extravagant and impractical plans
- This should last for at least 1 week and causes socio occupational disruption.
Feeling low / sad / depressed
- Loss of interest in previously pleasurable activities or unable to enjoy anything
- Decreased energy level, decreased motivation
- Weeping very easily / frequently and increase in the level of sensitivity
- Frequently getting irritated or having anger outbursts
- Negative self image and self confidence
- Feeling guilty
- Decrease in the ability to concentrate
- Disturbance 0in sleep – inability to fall asleep/ multiple breaks in sleep/ waking up much earlier than ones wake up time/ feeling unrefreshed even after sleeping through the night/ sleeping much more than usual
- Disturbance in appetite – not feeling hungry leading to decrease food intake which may lead to significant weight loss / occasionally increase in appetite
If these symptoms are present for most of the time for at least 2 weeks.